Sunday, May 13, 2007

New Sanctuary Movement Launches + Argentina

The relationship between the Latino Leadership Circle and the NYC Emergent Cohort continues to grow and this week after a few months of hard work, Jeff and Belinda helped launch the New Sanctuary Movement - churches offering hope and sanctuary to wonderful people in danger of being separated from their families by aggressive deportations.

There are just so many verses about welcoming the stranger, offering them hospitality and making them one of your own. Plus all we know of how God sees humans and not borders - and when one group of people has many they are called to share with those that have want. The inequity of our current world economy where a past history of colonialism and a current reality of the richer countries continuing to get richer often at the direct exploitation of the poorer countries must lead Christians to stand up and call out for justice. Let justice flow like rivers, and our God will be happy. But when he looks down upon our selfish inequities it breaks his heart.

Doing this work - a thing which is very new to me, and doesn't seem on the surface as "spiritual" as other things I've done - has really opened me up to a new understanding of God. I have sensed his pleasure in my actions - his smile as he sees me, his child, working for what he so desires. It has been deeply spiritual.

Now I am about to leave for one month living in a rented apartment in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I've always wanted to go there and a window has opened for me, so I'm off. If you know of any church or emergent connections in Buenos Aires I'd love to get together with some folks down there. jkursonis@yahoo.com

Enjoy the cohort on Monday!

Blessings, Jeff

No comments: